Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Immortal, Invisible...

I've been thinking recently, does God change?

What I mean is, I've changed a huge deal in the last year or so, and my view of God and understanding of God has changed with it. But has God changed with that or is he the same forever and always?

I know that the bible says God is unchanging, but then at the same time there are bits in the bible where God seems to change both in Character and decisions.

but those of you who know me well know that I am not keen on using the bible to demonstrate instances of absolute truth.

however, part of me sees Gods creation and how changeable it is, both in the short term (weather, emotions) and in the long term too (changes in the ice caps, the ageing process). If creation is the image of God, perhaps God is changeable too?

My other thought is that creation seems to change in response to something a human does, I.E. Global Warming, or even footprints in the snow. Perhaps God changes in response to how we see him or respond to him? Perhaps God is Charismatic to a Charismatic Christian, Allah to a Muslim, or even absent to an Atheist?

7 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger jodes da princess said...

And also, what implications are ther to having a changeable God, does it even matter?

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Jon said...

Reality is in the eye of the beholder?

I don't sign up to the whole unchangeable God idea either, but i don't think I go as far as you. God is portrayed as having changing emotions and changing his mind throughout the Old Testament, so there must be an element of that in it all.

However, I believe that there is something essential to my being that makes me Jon. Whether i am percieved as Dave, William or Myfanwy, there is something external to people's perceptions that makes me me. I think it is the same with God. Not very well explained, i know, but then it is early in the morning.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger jodes da princess said...

hmmm, see what your'e saying. but there is still so much variation in different peoples perceptions. My view of God is very different from a hardcore fundamenntalist muslim. ALthough the word God has connotations of power, is that more an identity that has been passed through generations? (I am in no way conclusive about anything I say btw!)

Always thought of you as a myfanwy myself...

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Although I'm with Jon, in terms of there being a certain amount that we can't change about the character of God, I do wonder though about Jodies point, but looking at it from a slightly different perspective. If we think about our dads, for example. Of the people that know him, everyone see's him in a slightly different light. His sons and daughters see him as father, provider etc. Those uner him at work see him as boss, those over him see him as subordinate. His brothers and sisters see him as a brother, and parents see him as a son.

All of these perspectives are true, and make up the person, but they are all different. Not one of them should contradict the other, but they will all be different. Perhaps that is a bit like how we see God. Obviously, we all come under the category of child, subordinate, servant or whatever. But we will all have different understandings of the same being, and they are all valid.

I'm not trying to say that all faiths are looking at the same God, because some faiths understanding of God is very different to others, but there has to be a certain amount of room for different perspectives in any one tradition I think.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger jodes da princess said...

I like that. good answer. correct. next question...

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger jodes da princess said...

amazing joel. is it this sunday or next? cos I'm on nights this week, but if its next week that should be cool.I love the sunflower lounge! will reprimand the hubbie

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger jodes da princess said...

I didnt call you hubby, I called you hubbie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home