Monday, April 17, 2006

Sandy's lesson of the day...

So we were watching the OC yesterday, well I was, Jon was pretending he hates it but secretly was into it.

anyways, Sandy was trying to get some developers to choose his firm to develop a hospital. he was up against another firm that was trying to swing the deal by wining and dining the developers.

So Sandy was faced with a choice. he could try wining and dining and probably get the deal, though compromising his business ethics, or he could hope that his honesty and integrity as a businessman would win the deal.

I, as I often do, spoke to sandy through the screen, saying, 'You cant change a corrupt business just by being nice. live in the real world Sandy.'

At which point Jon made a fundamental point. if we were all a bit more like sandy, making decisions based on our morals, the face of business would change. it just takes a heavily browed maverick to start the change.

So maybe we should all try to make decisions a little more like Sandy (eyebrows optional).

(persons who write this blog are not responsible for the actual outcome of the episode...)

6 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger luke said...

for quite a while i wanted sandy to let me live in his beach house,
and tell him how it really is, with a loving arm over the shoulder...

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger jodes da princess said...

his son is already following in his fathers footsteps

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger luke said...

there will be no disbaraging of seth cohen on this blog

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger beckyclaydon said...

i'll have you know that ulititarian priniples have on the whole worked very well for most decisions i make in life.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger beckyclaydon said...

if i was a strict act utilitarian, i could justify lying in a given situation if it bought happiness to the greatest number. but as a rule utilitarian, as a general rule, i can say that lying does not bring happiness to the greatest number at the end of the day[including myself] therefore lying is wrong.

for me personally, i tend to base some [ not all] of my everyday decisions on what is best for the greatest number/ people around me who i percieve to be affected by my decision making. i am often criticised for this- i should do what I want to do, i worry about what other people think too much, i'm really just hiding my true feelings etc.
i agree with this partly, but what makes me me is this aspect of my decision making- my concern with other people's happiness. i love seeing other people be happy and try and help them if i can. i kind of see it as a form of ulititarian decision making, but maybe you disagree.
i recognise that in some of my decisions, this has been a poor way of making a decision, and it relies on my perception of how others feel, which is not always accurate.plus I can't make all people happy all the time.
i hope i am becoming better at making strong decisions.

but i have come to an interim decision that to abandon this altogether would go against my character. but I do think about if is this a morally justifiable way of living? and am i just a wuss/bad christian decison maker?

i'd like to know how other people feel they make decisions. its probably a lot more justifiable [and biblical] than me!!!!and also about the whole prayer thing, which i am still considering

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I am probably more in line with Kant's deontological position than the utilitarian. It's all about the higher ethical code.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home